Spring is right around the corner, and that means allergy and sinus season will be at its peak in just a few weeks. During the spring months, Longevity gets countless calls from people struggling with headaches, runny noses, congestion and other sinus/allergy symptoms. In addition to taking natural supplements to support the sinuses, liver and immune system, eating an anti-inflammatory, whole foods diet can help keep you healthy this time of year. This soup is full of sinus-cleansing ingredients, and it’s gluten and dairy free!
Roasted Green Chile Chicken Soup
2 tsp organic coconut oil
1 tsp organic extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 full chicken breasts (6 individual), cut into bite-sized pieces
2 roasted poblano peppers, skinned, seeded and diced
1 roasted anaheim pepper, skinned, seeded and diced
4 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds, or 1/2 tsp cumin
8 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
- To roast peppers, place in a casserole dish, drizzle with olive oil and bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a sealed ziplock bag to steam for 15 minutes. The skins should peel right off after this process so you can easily remove the seeds and dice the chilies.
- In a large pot heated to medium high, add the oils and sauté the onions until soft. Add the garlic. Remove this mixture and set aside.
- Sauté the chicken in the same pot until the pieces are firm and cooked through.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on high for at least 20 minutes.
- Simmer until ready to serve. Adjust and add seasonings to taste. Serve and enjoy!
Add something a little different into your recipe rotation! Happy Spring!