It’s time to get ready for Thanksgiving! You just can’t top a day that is solely dedicated to eating delicious food and counting your blessings. Butternut squash is one of the must-haves for this time of year, and this soup also incorporates many other fall staples. We found this recipe in Natural Health Magazine. It’s simple, gluten-free, vegan and perfect for serving at holiday gatherings. It’s also high in fiber and protein.
1 tbsp oil
2 diced onions
5 cups vegetable broth
1 diced medium butternut squash
2 diced green apples
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 tsp dried sage
1∕4 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp honey
Garnish: toasted walnuts
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the diced onions and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the broth, squash, apples, ginger, sage and nutmeg.
- Add salt to taste and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the honey (Great for soothing coughs and scratchy throats this time of year)
- Purée in a VitaMix or food processor, serve and garnish with toasted walnuts. Enjoy!
This soup is the perfect warming meal of a chilly night!